My granddaughters are the loves of my life; six year old Ava and 13 month old Juliette (or “JujuB”). I never had children of my own, but when I married the Crankee Yankee, I “inherited” his daughter, and later on, her husband. Much later on, their two girls.
Here is just some of the wisdom I’ve learned from these amazing little girls:
- You can never have enough hugs and kisses.
- Life on a farm is the best thing ever.
- Always share your toys.
- Be nice to everyone.
- If someone is having a bad day, help them feel better.
- Butter is yummy.
- Try all kinds of foods; you may be surprised at how good they are.
- Grandparents are put on earth to spoil their grandchildren.
- When in doubt, be kind.
- There is a heaven for all people and animals.
- The more glitter, the better.
- Wave and smile at everyone.
- Pink and purple are the best colors EVER.
- Always turn up the cuffs of your leggings; they look MUCH cooler that way.
- Learning new things is super-fun.
- You can never say ‘I love you’ enough times.
A good friend told me that, once you become a grandmother or grandfather, your life will change in the best possible way. She was right—it is a whole new realm of love and joy. There are times that I just look at these girls and feel love, gratitude, joy and amazement; how in the world did I get so lucky?
When we visit them, Ava wants me to color or make things with her. So I sit on the floor and we play. JujuB is walking now, and she smiles and waves at everyone. They have opened my heart in ways no one has before—they give me faith that the world is much better than I thought.
These kids are here to make positive changes. If you are lucky enough to be a grandparent, love them and help them be everything that they can be. Watch and learn, encourage and support. This generation is going to be amazing!