We are living in “interesting times” as the Chinese curse would say. There is uproar, outrage, bad behavior, mud-slinging, riots, mob rule, and absolutely disgusting actions from those who should know better. Simple civility, manners, kindness, empathy and even smiling seems to have taken a very long vacation.
That said, there is a lot to be happy about just the same. Often as a ‘feel good’ exercise when I am feeling low, I write down all that makes me happy. When the list is done, I read it a few times and feel better. Sure, it doesn’t change millions of lives, but it helps me to get a more positive look on life.
Try it: get a pen and a notebook, and write your first line: “What Makes Me Happy.” If you need a nudge, I’ll share some happy stuff from my own list today:
- My granddaughters’ laughter
- A kiss and a hug from the Crankee Yankee
- Emails and phone calls from my friends
- The fall colors (which have been spectacular in this neck of the woods)
- Blue herons
- Hot black coffee every morning
- The antics of all our five cats
- The pleasure in putting out food, water and shelter for our strays outside
- A really good nap
- The one remaining Monarch butterfly that sailed past my head the other day
- A really GOOD bra (trust me: this is a real ‘feel good’ thing!)
- The lovely scent of the Blue Miu Miu perfume my friend gave me
- *Corny jokes
- The colors I love: pink, purple, blue, indigo, aqua, turquoise, red and lime
- Comfortable clothes
- Lots of jingly jewelry
- Walking on an ocean beach
- Soup on a cold day
- Jelly beans
- Sharpie black felt pens
…And there are more, every day. Do yourself a favor and put pen to paper and just write down what makes YOU happy. It may not solve all the problems of the world or bring peace throughout the land, but it will make you feel better, trust me.
*From Laff Gaff, here are a few beauts:
How many lips does a flower have? Tu-lips.
How does a squid go into battle? Well armed.
What do you call a shoe made out of a banana? A slipper.
Why couldn’t the toilet paper cross the road? Because it got stuck in a crack.
What would bears be without bees? Ears.
How much does a pirate pay for corn? A buccaneer.
What did the mayonnaise say when the refrigerator door was opened? Close the door, I’m dressing.
What lies at the bottom of the sea shaking? A nervous wreck.