I posted this quite a while ago, but couldn’t we all use a bit of whimsy these days!
Whimsy; it’s a wonderful thing. The word “whimsy” itself is lovely: from Webster’s Dictionary:
2: the quality or state of being whimsical or fanciful; the designer’s new line showed a touch of whimsy
3: a fanciful or fantastic device, object, or creation especially in writing or art
The very word seems full of light and charm.
So, what exactly does it mean to have whimsy or want whimsy? I think it’s anything that tickles you, lifts your spirit, makes you laugh, makes you delighted; in short, whimsy is that particular feeling we get deep in our stomaches that bubbles up in giggles. (And isn’t it wonderful to giggle at any age?)
Your particular whimsy can be anything that makes you happy; a wild pair of earrings, fabulous leather boots that make you feel ten feet tall, a straw hat with a striped ribbon around it, some really good chocolate, a porcelain fairy figurine, a daring dress in wild colors, and so on. There really is no limit on whimsy.
It’s perfectly fine to be whimsical, to bring whimsy into your life, and just enjoy the magic of whimsy. I love it when I see someone who puts their own version of it right out there for the whole world to see, such as:
- An elderly man with a flower tucked in his hat band.
- A little girl wearing her pink fairy dress with wings.
- A group of ladies with pink, purple and teal streaks in their hair.
- A young man with a big smile wearing a “Free Hugs” t-shirt.
- A teenager walking her dog, who sports a flower lei around his neck.
- An elderly lady wearing turquoise sneakers with sparkles on them.
- A mom wearing a macaroni necklace that her little boy made for her.
And so it goes. Whimsy is whatever you want or need it to be. It lights up your outlook and your spirit; funny how that works, isn’t it? As for me, I am flying my own whimsy flag right out there for the world to see! Go ahead; fly yours as well!