I often tell the Crankee Yankee (my husband) that my favorite sound in the whole world is him laughing. He laughs with his whole heart and soul; his face lights up, and, if something really tickles him, he slaps his knees as well. I can’t begin to tell you how many times I’ve fallen in love with him all over again just because of that laugh.
There are so many wonderful sounds in my life, and I know that there are in yours. Take a minute to review them. Here are some of mine–besides the Crankee Yankee’s laughter, that is:
- My granddaughter giggling
- My mother howling with laughter over a shared joke
- My dad telling mom and me that his favorite sound in the world is us laughing together
- The wind sighing through bare branches
- Ukulele music–no other instrument has that delightful plinky-plonky sound
- The pages of a book whispering as I turn them
- The sound of coffee brewing
- The purring of cats in my ear
- The little clicking of beads as I make jewelry
- The foghorn sound a glass bottle makes when you blow across the top
- The sussurus of blowing snow in the frigid air
- The sound of the peepers in spring
- The call of the loons
- Mozart’s music
- The ‘gloop gloop’ sound of bubbling soup
- Plumpy-Nut’s (our most recent cat) snoring
- Ocean waves
- Screen doors slamming in the summer time
- The ‘scraaaaaak, scraaaaaak’ of blue herons as they fly off over the water
- Etta James singing “At Last”
…and I’d give anything to hear my grandmother’s old coffee percolator again.
So–what’s yours? Don’t those sounds take you right back in time?